All good business websites include some must-have pages that help visitors to understand their offers. These pages make it clear what they stand for, and they enable the business to be transparent about their intentions. The Boxmode website builder can help provide business owners with rich templates to create an engaging and informative site that showcases their business and includes all the most important pages to ensure they are compliant with the law.
The required contents of the policy will vary and are dependent upon the applicable law. Different geographical locations and legal jurisdictions may well have additional rules, so it is vital to research these before you begin.
Typically, data and privacy laws are in place and applicable to any business that targets residents of a region, so a law can apply to your business regardless of whether it’s actually located in that region or not.
- Details of the site owner.
- Details of the kinds of data being collected. The visitor’s name? Address? Interests? Cookies? Email?
- Details of how the data is being collected.
- The legal basis for the collection. For example, this could relate to consent or local obligation, or it can relate to certain information that is internal to your service offering. Stating why you’re processing the personal data of users is crucial.
- The exact purposes for which the data is being collected? Being specific about what you need the information for is also essential. Will it be used for analytics? For email Marketing?
- Details of any third parties that will have access to the information. If you intend to allow third parties access to the information you collect, you need to state who they are.
- If transferring data across borders or overseas, you may also need to include how you intend to ensure this is done safely and compliantly.
- The users’ individual rights. Will users be allowed to request to see the data you collect? Will they be permitted to erase or block data collection? Will they be able to update or amend the data you have on them?
Careful planning and consideration about what to include will ensure that you haven’t overlooked or left anything out and will make the writing stage much easier.
The planning stages
When you come to the writing stage, you will have several options:
#1 Write it yourself
#3 Hire a professional to help you
#4 Hire an attorney
3. Berry Global starts with a clear statement that assures visitors it will only collect information with their prior knowledge and consent.